Reprint fee for a Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit is $5.00.
LIFETIME PISTOL PERMIT BILL (ACT 2021-246) AND ALABAMA PERMIT-LESS CARRY LAW:If you are an Alabama resident, you are no longer required to have a Concealed Carry Weapon permit unless you are traveling outside the state with your firearm. You must be 18 years or older to open carry or conceal carry without a permit.
NEW APPLICANTS FOR A CARRYING CONCEAL PISTOL PERMIT:
- You must be 19 years old or older, unless you are active military.
- You may apply online.
- Once your application is complete, you will receive a call from the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office when the application is available for pickup. The number may appear as an incoming spam call. Our office numbers begin with (205) 464-**** A voicemail will be left if a messaging system is activated.
- New applicants may receive a permit for 1 or 5 years ($20 or $100). All forms of payment are accepted except for American Express.
- There is an additional processing fee of $2.50 if a debit or credit card is used.
- All checks must be made out to Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office (TCSO).
- When we call you, you will have 60 days from the day you applied to pick up your Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit (at the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office Downtown). If you fail to do so, your application will become void, and the application process must start over.
- You may pick up your permit on Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (Closed for major holidays).
- A picture will be taken the day you pick up your Carrying Conceal Permit.
RENEWING YOUR CARRYING CONCEAL PISTOL PERMIT:
- You cannot renew your Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit online. You can only renew in the office or by mailing a check/money order to:
Tuscaloosa Co. Sheriff’s Office
714 ½ Greensboro Ave.
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Include the name of the person renewing and their permit number on the check. Also, checks should be made out to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office (TCSO).
- Renewal options for Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit are for 1, 5 years ($20 or $100) or Lifetime (see below). Under the new Bill, Carrying Concealed Permits for 2, 3 or 4 years will not be issued.
LIFETIME CARRYING CONCEAL PISTOL PERMITS
- Only available if you have had an active Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit for 5 consecutive years.
- Lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permits are only available if you renew in the office.
- If you are under the age of 59 you may purchase a lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit for $300 (with a possible credit).
- If you are 60 years old or older you may purchase a lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit for $150.
Military and Law Enforcement Lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permits (Retired or Active)
- If you are active Military, retired or Honorable Discharged from the Military you may receive a Lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit for free. (Military Card and/or DD-214 are required).
- If you are retired or active Law Enforcement, you also can receive a Lifetime Carrying Conceal Pistol Permit for free. (Documentation is required).
If you are renewing your permit, you can only renew in the office or by mail. YOU CAN NOT RENEW ONLINE.
There is a $20 per year, non-refundable fee, up to five (5) years.
Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am until 5:00pm. We accept cash, checks, money orders and debit/credit cards (plus $2.50 convenience fee with the use of the cards.) WE DO NOT ACCEPT AMERICAN EXPRESS.
If you would like to mail in your renewal, please send your check or money order to T.C.S.O. 714 ½ Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401.
Be sure to include your pistol permit number and any changes to your address and/or phone number.
If you are an out of County/State Student, you can obtain a pistol permit by doing one of the following:
- Obtain an Alabama Driver’s License with a Tuscaloosa address.
Register to vote or move your existing voter registration to Tuscaloosa.
Provide two bills (power, water, gas, lease, etc.) that have your name along with a Tuscaloosa address.
Pistol Permit for New Applicants
- You must be a resident of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama to apply.
- Review your information for accuracy.
- Once you've reviewed your form, you may either PRINT the form on your printer or click SUBMIT to securely submit your application.
- If you choose to PRINT your form, be sure to sign the form where noted. DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT.
- If you need to print a BLANK form, use the button at the bottom of this page to do so.
- Fill out all of the following fields.